Cape Town Climate & Temperature
- Cape Town, South Africa is at 33°58'S, 18°36'E, 42 m (138 ft). See map.
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Cape Town is situated in or near the warm temperate dry forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 16.6 degrees Celsius (61.9 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 9 °C (16.2°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 475 mm (18.7 inches) which is equivalent to 475 Litres/m² (11.65 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2993 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Cape Town you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii where you would find a Tropical wet and dry/ savanna climate.
Cape Town Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Cape Town Climate Graph in Metric Units
Cape Town Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Cape Town, South Africa Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Currently under general maintenance.|
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Tshane, Botswana - 1151.7 kms (715.7 miles) NNE
- Pretoria, South Africa - 1299.1 kms (807.3 miles) NE
- Johannesburg, South Africa - 1269.6 kms (788.9 miles) NE
- Mbabane, Swaziland - 1473.5 kms (915.7 miles) ENE
- Upington, South Africa - 667.6 kms (414.8 miles) NNE
- Kimberley, South Africa - 822.6 kms (511.2 miles) NE
- Bloemfontein, South Africa - 908.2 kms (564.4 miles) NE
- Maseru, Lesotho - 986.7 kms (613.2 miles) ENE
- Durban, South Africa - 1245.9 kms (774.2 miles) ENE
- East London, South Africa - 861.9 kms (535.6 miles) E
- Port Elizabeth, South Africa - 646.3 kms (401.6 miles) E